AOSW Mission Statement
AOSW MISSION ©2001
The Association of Oncology Social Work (AOSW) is a non-profit, international organization dedicated to the enhancement of psychosocial services to people with cancer and their families. Created in 1984 by social workers interested in oncology and by existing national cancer organizations, AOSW is an expanding force of psychosocial oncology professionals.
Mission Statement of the Association of Oncology Social Work
To advance excellence in the psychosocial care of persons with cancer, their families, and caregivers through:
- Resource Development
AOSW envisions a global society in which oncology care meets the physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs of all people affected by cancer.
- Increase awareness of the psychosocial effects of cancer.
- Advance the practice of psychosocial interventions that enhance quality of life and recovery of persons with cancer and their families.
- Foster communication and support among psychosocial oncology caregivers.
- Further the study of psychological and social effects of cancer through research and continuing education.
- Advocate for programs and policies to meet the psychosocial needs of oncology patients and their families.
- Promote liaison activities with other psychosocial oncology groups and professional oncology organizations.
- Promote the highest professional standards and ethics in the practice of oncology social work.
AOSW - An Overview (PDF format)
AOSW - An Overview (Slide Show - 5.2M)
If you experience a problem downloading the 5.2 megabyte slide show, choose "Save" instead of "Open" on the prompt box when you click on the above link. Then “Save” to your Desktop. You can then open it from your Desktop.