Amy Colver, LCSW
Melody Griffith, MSW, LMSW, OSW-C
AOSW Communications Director
Jeanice Hansen, LCSW, OSW-C
To submit a story or information for inclusion in a future issue of AOSW Newsletter, contact Amy Colver or Melody Griffith on the list above.
Taking Flight: Creating a 2020 Vision in Oncology Social Work
We hope you are planning to join us June 10-12, 2020, in Raleigh, North Carolina. Register now on the AOSW website!
This year's theme speaks to the specialized skills and talents that oncology social workers use to improve the quality of life for patients with cancer, their families and communities. OSWs knowledge, specialized training and comfort are highly valued by those we serve. The annual conference provides an opportunity for us to learn, share our knowledge and offer support to each other. The presentations and educational sessions reflect the most important issues facing oncology social workers today.
Watch your email for the preliminary program and other information.
Check out the Conference on a Budget page for ideas to make attending more affordable.
A visit to Raleigh is more than a trip to a blossoming Southern metropolis; it is a culinary, historical and cultural experience that promises to refresh and energize you. Invigorate your senses by sampling the many flavors of cutting-edge Southern cuisine enhanced by artisan craft brews and spirits. Join in broadening your horizons through an enticing array of visual and performing arts exhibitions. Get your toes tapping to the sounds of emerging music and bands and discover gifts and treasures from local boutiques, including many handmade and custom designs for truly eclectic finds. Raleigh is also a short drive away from Durham, another popular destination with award-winning food and drink.
About our host hotel. Raleigh Marriot City Center is located in the center of Raleigh's revitalized downtown. Enjoy a leisurely stroll to explore the area's most popular attractions and James Beard award-winning restaurants. Once inside the hotel's stylish and comfortable great room lobby you can unwind with a Starbucks coffee or a locally inspired entrée or signature cocktail from Rye Bar & Southern Kitchen. The amenity-filled guest rooms feature 55" flat screen TVs and modern workspaces. Elevate your exercise routine in the 24/7 fitness center, featuring Peloton bikes. Raleigh may be quiet about the fact that it's leading in most recent quality-of-life rankings, but the fact is, you'll enjoy visiting as much as locals enjoy living here. Come see what the city will inspire in you.
Conference Schedule Highlights
Opening Keynote: Victoria Kennedy, LCSW, FAOSW
ACS Quality of Life Lecture: Penny Damaskos, PhD, LCSW, OSW-C, FAOS
Closing Keynote: Krista Nelson, MSW, LCSW, OSW-C, FAOSW
New Awards & Scholarships opportunities available to recognize our colleagues for their amazing work:
- NEW! GO2 Foundation for Lung Cancer Social Worker of the Year Award
- NEW! AOSW Volunteer of the Year Award
- NEW! Kim Lawson Scholarship (must be a PhD or DSW candidate)
- Leadership in Oncology Social Work Award (sponsored by the American Cancer Society)
- Oncology Social Worker of the Year Award (sponsored by Cancer Support Community)
- Hematology/Oncology Social Worker of the Year Award (sponsored by the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society)
- Hematology/Oncology Lifetime Achievement Award (sponsored by the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society)
- Naomi Stearns Conference Scholarship (one recipient)
- Pain, Palliative Care and End-of-Life Scholarship (one recipient, must be an MSW student)
- AOSW Conference Scholarships (eight recipients, must agree to serve as Room Monitors for 2020 Conference)
A highlight at the annual conference is Wednesday night's Opening Reception and Silent Auction, 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. The Silent Auction supports AOSW Conference Scholarships and…it is vital, fun and engaging. Like you! We invite you to uphold our AOSW tradition by contributing an item to the auction.
- Bring an item that reflects your state, territory or country. Can every community be represented?
- Bring an item that reflects your area of practice. Can we represent all 108 chapters of the Handbook of Oncology Social Work?
- Bring an item that you created or adore. Solicit one from a favorite coffee shop, bookstore or vendor that supports the reach of social work. The bids will rise to reflect your passions.
- Let your innovation show. Bring an item from gardening to cycling, cool t-shirts to art, jewelry to wine, chocolate, books, baskets.
And bidders! We need your excitement and your bids. Bidding heats up near closing time. Don't miss the excitement!
All proceeds from the silent auction support AOSW Conference Scholarships. Donations are tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law.
Testimony From an AOSW Conference Scholarship Recipient:
"Thank you for selecting me as a scholarship recipient to the 2016 conference in Tampa! It was a fantastic experience presenting and meeting many I have spoken to, but never met face-to-face. It is an honor to connect with so many inspiring social workers who are passionate about working with this population! I look forward to many more conferences to come!" – Jennifer Dunn, MSW, LCSW, OSW-C